Sunday, July 5, 2009

Painting en plein-aire











searching for the form in stones

finding the large masses in the tree

As I mentioned in the last post, I took a three day landscape workshop with Gundula Jacobs, an amazing painter and wonderful human being. If you get a chance to see her work, look at the site:
http://www.thebrighamgalleries.com/Artists/GJacobs/GundulaJacobsResume.htm


We were a group of six, three French women, one German girl, a Chinese lady and myself. Gundula was teaching in French, German and English! oolala


sunlit field

les fleurs

la tour

These are my first, and I went at it in a typical spontaneous mode,

Go-for-it- joyousness and w/o any knowledge...

I have begun the baby steps toward finding the light and form outdoors and found great satisfaction in the work. Particularly the stones were a struggle. How does one paint a pile of beautifully lit stones?

By the time I figured out to create some semblance of the form, the light had completely changed and was nearly gone.

One really needs to make quick accurate decisions because life does not hold still! Perhaps this is the challenge and that which gives us anima, the vital force!

All for now, this week back in the studio, a new pose and a new still life!

No comments: